2/2/15

Local Mondays


Belly Acres. 


I first heard of belly acres from some friends. They talked about how it was a farm to table restaurant, and I was like "no way!!"  If anyone should know anything about me, it would be that Im madly passionate about where my food comes from. I always prefer local over conventional. Especially when it comes to meat. Buying meat, eggs, and dairy from places like a farmers market is the best way to ensure you are getting true organic, high quality livestock. Im not actually sure how local their meat is. I tried researching what farm(s) they use, but couldn't find anything. I'll just have to ask next time I go in:) because I most definitely will be going back. Their motto is citified farm fresh, and all their burgers are labeled 100% grass fed beef- which is how I always prefer my beef.
 
We live in a world now where just eating fruits and veggies isn't good enough anymore. Our agricultural systems that mass produce our food have caused wide concern among many health experts and even environmentalist. Unfortunately quality of food has been trumped by quantity, and believe it or not, we are paying a high price for it: Our health. These burgers may seem expensive, but I promise the quality is what you are paying for, and its worth it. As an aspiring dietitian, I genuinely hope to make this concept more aware to people.
 
Now onto the good stuff!:) I ordered the early riser burger. It was a 100% grass-fed beef patty with melted cheese underneath a poached egg (runny- the best way to eat a poached egg!), and two pieces of bacon. All of this was on a sweet waffle. It was pretty tasty, and very satisfying! I have night classes on Mondays, and all these yummy animal fats were enough to sustain my energy, and keep me sharp-minded and focused. I could go into all the ways animal fats have been proven supremely beneficial, but I would much rather supply you guys with some articles and journals that go into the history of it, and the new research that has been done. click: Mindful foodie blog,   Dr. Mercola, and oxford journal-how the ideology of law fat conquered America. All of these are wonderful and short articles. I tried to pull three different ones from three different aspects; personal blog, a doctor, and history of the low fat fad from oxford journal. Based off these articles, and my own personal experience, I can honestly say fat is not the culprit. Sugar on the other hand....well that's another blog for another time. but yeah that stuff is pretty bad-mainly because its everywhere! yikes!
 
Now, go support your local businesses that are trying to do right by its people, and indulge in an open faced burger with delicious bacon. oh, and feel good about it!:)