10/15/17

Robs 5th birthday.

Can't believe my sweet boy is FIVE. One of the perks of being in school is that I'm so busy I don't really have time to dwell on how time is flying. Then birthdays come and it hits me all at once. That part sucks. Raw emotion overwhelms me and before I know it, I’m standing in line at Starbucks trying to hold back tears. So maybe the whole school thing isn’t a perk. Instead of being lightly drizzled throughout the year with the sobering reality of time, I’m flooded with it all at once when he blows out yet another candle on this special day. Seriously, no one ever told me how hard this part would be. Ok, totally lying. they did. I just never understood. Not until now.


Luckily birthdays are fun. And they can keep a girl busy! It didn’t take me long to swallow that lump in the back of my throat and get back to work on birthday plans! I told myself I would plan his birthday early this year... but yeah... that so did not happen. The theme we were originally going for was Wild Kratts. My son is obsessed with that show! I just love the fact that he can identify any animal off the top of his head. Osprey? Basilisk lizard? Don’t laugh at my ignorance, but I totally didn't know what those were before my 5-year-old! lol! (Insert embarrassed/ashamed emoji)

I couldn’t think of any better place to have his birthday this year than at Lichterman Nature Center. It was such a hit with the kids, and even though I had to abandon the Wild Kratts theme, it still was centered around the same idea. The whole birthday lasted about 2 hours and included a 60 min nature walk with a naturalist. Let me tell you.. nothing is funnier/more adorable than a bunch of 4-5 year-olds blurting out answers to a question they really don't know. One of my favorites was when the naturalist asked what kind of animals lived in ponds. A young girl screamed from the top of her lungs..”WHALES!” Not only was it random, but the confidence she exuded in that moment was hysterical!

After the kids took a nature walk, they were guided to a room where they were able to see more creatures and also touch a few! Rob was allowed to pick three animals to touch/see in advance. Rob picked a bunny and a skink to touch. I’ll let you guess which was his favorite ;)

It turned out to be such a beautiful day. We are so thankful to all his classmates and friends who made this day so special.

Rob, you are obviously very loved. I may not always be ok with this whole getting older thing, but I am so thrilled to be your mother. And watching you grow into the beautiful soul you are becoming is such a privilege. I love you so much.

Happy Birthday my sweet boy.

                            
`