10/4/21

1 month with Amelia

 

 

My little girl, you are one month old! Although you are still little and require multiple feedings throughout the night, you have honestly been a dream baby. You have made this transition into a family of 5 so peaceful and joyful. The older kids LOVE you! Even your sweet sister, Leona, who is only 2 can’t get enough of you and calls you by name all the time; “milla” she says proudly every time somebody new comes to meet you. 

Although I’m sure there will be days where we will all have to give ourselves a little more grace, I will forever be thankful for those first few weeks. I remember our first night in the hospital with you. It was pretty rough. You cried for almost 5 hours straight. You were struggling to latch on and I was having one of the worst hot flashes of my life. every-time I brought you to my chest, i would profusely sweat and have to hand you to your dad. It was incredibly frustrating and one of the longest nights of my life. Everyone thought I was crazy when I begged to go home the next day. My mother in law called to tell us Leona was acting sick and not sleeping for them. They insisted we stay at the hospital where we would have the help of nurses and be given three fresh meals… no cooking, cleaning, calming 2 year old tantrums, or helping big brother with homework. But I missed your siblings so bad it hurt and with my postpartum hormones raging I knew I needed to get back home to them. I was so nervous. I didn’t know if you would cry like you did that first night and if Leona would be nice to you. But I knew we all needed to be together.. no matter what we just needed to be a family again. 

Amelia, you were perfect. You never cried and always slept peacefully in your crib when I needed to tend to your older siblings. You would sleep peacefully on my chest for hours and even give me a 3-4 hour stretch at night. All which helped me heal quicker from birth. 

Oh and your siblings were so excited to meet you. Leona even pushed me out of the way and asked.. “where’s baby??” as soon as she came home. She didn’t even miss me.. she just wanted to meet you! So sweet but strange as she never showed interest in you when you were in my belly. We honestly thought she would be freaked out by a baby being in her space, but we were so wrong! She has been nothing bug loving and accommodating since your arrival. Even rushes to your side when you cry and whimper.. like whatever is hurting you hurts her too. And Rob… your sweet big brother fell in love all over again. You are in for a such a treat with him. You don’t even know it! :) Our family has never felt more whole than it does now. You have filled a place in our hearts we didn’t even know was there! You are only one month and have so much growing to do. I can’t wait to learn more about you my sweet girl 💕 thank you for making our family even more perfect! We all love you so much.