3/31/15

Midtown Mondays!


Robata Ramen and Yakitori Bar
My obsession with oriental food is something serious. I never would have guessed from a first glance that his place served this kind of food. The restaurant itself is a cute little yellow house enclosed inside a white picket fence. I once saw an article going around listing the best patios in Memphis. I never read it, but I would be pretty surprised if this place didn't make the cut.  I don't really know what constitutes a patio being the best, BUT I do know that I found this patio to be pretty dang awesome! It had a fantastic view and because of the picket fence and porch with swings on it, you almost felt like you were in the comfort of your own home. It was quite charming and very peaceful. No joke- I think this is my new favorite place. Cal gets on to me because he says I say that about everything, Ha-ha! So I apologize if I have said that about every place I’ve tried, but that's just midtown for you! They make it really hard to complain around here. ;)


When I looked them up online, after being enticed by their vibrant yellow walls, I saw that they served Japanese food. I even saw some curry dishes which made me light up! What I love about this kind of food is the flavors.  They use a lot of spices and herbs that can pack a nice punch. The only downside I have to say is the sodium. I did notice some swelling in my hands after eating here. Unfortunately that is something that is very common in a lot of Japanese/Thai places though, especially when you order soups. (Which I did) so just be mindful of that and drink lots of water! My sisters dish pictured above^^ was a rice based dish called takana yaki-meshi. It had pork, fishcake, egg, mustard greens, and red ginger! She let me have a bite and even though I found it to be very flavorful it did seem that the sodium content was a lot less. We both highly recommend this one!:)
As an appetizer we ordered the fried squid legs. Yeah, Im weird like that:) But I liked it! A little chewy, but had lots of flavor-especially with their 'chili sauce' that tasted a lot like siracha:)

Haha! Kat wasn't so sure about it at first, but she took it like a champ

I had to order their plum wine since it was fitting to where we were eating. Im not a fan of sweet wine though, and this tasted like pure apple juice. However, if you are a fan of sweet wine/apple juice then this is right up your alley! If not, then just stick with one of their local beers brewed here in memphis. You can never go wrong with one of those!

 Now for my dish! I ordered the robata original ramen. I decided to go with the ramen instead of the Yakitori because I’m not a huge fan of chicken (I’m so weird I know!) and even less a fan of anything skewered. (Ha I get weirder by the minute) I have no idea why, I just don't. BUT I love a good ramen soup! Mmmm...I mean look at all that goodness. I chose the Miso Tonkotsu style ramen which is a pork based broth topped with a marinated boiled egg, green onion, red ginger, kikurage, and bean sprouts. I added kimchi for extra probiotics. Once again be mindful of the salt, but other than that there is a lot of nutritional goodness going on here so give it a shot!:)

Some more pics