8/30/18

graduation




Im still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this part of my life is done. Its like you invest so much of your time and energy into something you feel is never gonna end that you forget to plan for life after because life after doesn't even seem like a real thing!  Then you blink...and its over. Slowly but surely I am learning that is how life works which makes me sad in a way but also gives me hope fort this next stage of life; GRAD SCHOOL.



For those that don't know, I will be starting the combined masters/internship program here at The University of Memphis. I am THRILLED at the opportunity to continue but obviously have my fears. As a wife, mom, and student I have always struggled to find a balance. At times I have just simply felt as though I wasn't enough. But walking across that stage for undergrad has given me enough confidence and reassurance to know that I am enough and I can do this. I have such a great support system through my amazing husband and sweet son that I know we are enough. Me and my little team 💚 I Couldn't and wouldn't choose to do any part of my life without them, especially this. I love them so!

I have decided to use the rest of this post to answer a few questions that I have been getting a lot  from friends and family. Hopefully this will answer the majority of questions that people have and clear up some confusion about what my chosen profession will be! :) For any seasoned RDs out there reading this, please bear with me as I try to do this field justice! ;) I am still a student and am learning new things everyday!

1) How long will grad school be? 
I feel like this is the million dollar question that I get asked a lot. I know its always in good nature, but when I tell people I am going back, I think they have it in their head that I will be here for another four years. Its actually a 16 month program! (less than two years, woohoo!) It might take me more than 16 months for some special reasons ;) but nonetheless, its a very fast paced and intense program that will give me my masters degree combined with my internship and residency. The best part of that is with my internship under my belt, I am eligible to sit for the RD exam which means I will finally be able to work as a registered dietitian!! (woohoo). The masters degree is just the icing on the cake and obviously will benefit me in the long run! I will take 2 full semesters of classes at night and then the last few semesters will be my internship.

2)What is your degree actually in/ what do I call you officially?
This is another question I get asked a lot which is understandable. Not many people have worked with a dietitian in our area so its not something a lot of people are exposed to unless they have been in the hospital or have known someone who has needed MNT (medical nutrition therapy). Not that dietitians are limited to the hospital of course, but in our area this is where you would most likely see one. With that being said, after I graduate and finish my internship I will have my Masters of Science in Nutrition and will sit for the RD exam. Once I pass, I am then a Registered Dietitian (RD).  From there I can work in any field I choose; clinical, community, research, private practice, own my own business, etc. The options are limitless! One of the best things about this field :) So what do you call me? People who go to school prefer to be called a Registered Dietitian or just Dietitian. This is because the term Nutritionist isn't a licensed term in a lot of states and therefore many people without a degree or credentials can call themselves a nutritionist. You see this a lot on wellness sites, blogs, and gyms where personal trainers will call themselves a nutritionist despite any education or formal training in the field. Their advice tends to come from sensationalized information and fads as opposed to an evidence based practice and a true understanding of scientific information.

3) So as an RD, what will you be doing? Where do you plan to work? 
This is always a tough question for me to answer because I genuinely love so many areas of this field! My goal once I graduate is to work as an RD in clinical nutrition. Surprisingly, this was my favorite rotation in undergrad. This means I will work in a hospital where I would offer nutrition support to patients. This can be anything from calculating patient needs for different feeds (enteral, parenteral, oral) for patients with specific disease states to offering nutrition education for patients who have been newly diagnosed with some disorder/disease. This is referred to as medical nutrition therapy and is typically what a clinical RD does.

4) Do you work now?
I am over the moon excited to announce that I will be working during the day as a full time GA. For those that don't know, a GA is a graduate assistant. I will be working with one of my favorite professors, Dr. Marie, in her research lab. I first met Dr. Marie when I studied abroad in South Africa in 2015.  She is actually from South Africa and was one of the faculty that led the trip for us. I then had her for one of my  toughest/most challenging (but favorite) class in undergrad. Right before graduation, I started working for her in her research lab. I learned ALOT in those few months and was thrilled at the opportunity to continue with her. She is an intelligent woman and someone I genuinely  look up to so the fact that I get to work with her is just beyond exciting!

I am so excited about this next chapter and can't wait to get this first semester under my belt. If any of  you ever think about it, please feel free to say a few prayers for me and my family. We have been blessed beyond measure but could still always use some support and prayers to help keep our heads on straight ;) Life is crazy but beautiful!