6/12/18

Shrimp Tacos!




Taco Tuesday.


 I use to shy away from tacos because of how 'bad' they were when we use to make them. Traditional tacos in our house typically included ground beef, processed cheese, sour cream, and artificial seasoning. What this meant was that our old tacos were laden with fat, sugar, and salt while offering very little nutrient diversity. 

Don't get me wrong- they were good, but I felt so bad after eating them that we just stopped making them all together in order to stave off bouts of indigestion and bloating that would happen after another infamous taco night. Luckily though, as a dietitian in training,  I have learned over the years how to transform some of my favorite comfort dishes into healthier meal options that is both delicious and nutritious. Below are some of my tips and tricks that have helped me revamp our taco nights! Oh, and this dish is so quick because hello...working mom life over here! 😅




Healthy Swaps
One thing I noticed was that our traditional tacos contained loads of salt and fat. Not that I necessarily think either of those are bad, but the amount we were getting in one taco was excessive. In order to cut the salt, I got rid of those awful seasoning packets that usually come with the taco kits and instead used fresh herbs. Cilantro is my absolute favorite to use with seafood so thats what we used, but you can honestly use anything! I just warmed the shrimp in a little butter and added some cilantro to the mix! I also cut out the cheese in this recipe which of course drives the sodium levels down even more. In order to get that rich flavor without the cheese, I used something unconventional- Greek yogurt. This not only cut down sodium but it also reduced the fat content. Plain greek yogurt has a very smooth but rich consistency with a subtle tangy flavor. Its almost like sour cream except with way less fat and more than double the amount of protein. Its honestly a win all around. I read some where that some people add lime juice to the greek yogurt. I actually squirt lime juice on my entire taco before I eat it, so I don't even bother with this step. But once again, thats all personal preference! :) 

Mindful snacking
We all know taco nights typically come with two things- chips and dip. Everybody knows that when you prepare tacos you must have something to snack on. This is where I would go a little crazy and lose my mind. Snacking is already a massive problem for me so when you give me a whole night to do nothing but indulge on chips and dip then it becomes a true recipe for disaster! I can wipe out a bag of chips in no time with no problem. In order to not fall for this, I buy veggie trays from kroger. They are pretty inexpensive and come with the perfect sized veggies to munch on in place of chips and dip. I know it may seem boring to snack from a veggie tray, but once you start envisioning taco night as a night to eat deliciously fresh food, then a veggie tray doesn't seem all that bad. Play around with dipping sauces in order to liven it up if you are still struggling to see the potential that a good veggie tray has to offer! The tray with the mini bell peppers and snow peas are my absolute favorite 😋



Be Unconventional
Don't be scared to try new things! For us, this meant adding steamed brown rice on our taco instead of on the side, adding my favorite mango salsa, and touching it off with some micro greens for a little extra flavor. All of these things intensify the flavors without having to add salt like I discussed before. It also creates nutrient diversity which is always my goal at dinner time! 

Steamed brown rice adds a healthy dose of vitamins and fiber. Mango salsa also adds fiber and minerals while providing sweetness and depth of flavor. The micro greens also packed a nutrition punch as well as its own flavor profile. Overall, the nutritional quality increased by tenfold while we decreased major assaults to our health such as excess sodium and fat. This wouldn't have been possible though had I not explored some unconventional food pairings. I always tell people good nutrition is about having an explorers attitude. You don't have to like everything you try, but you must be willing to try. Food is always surprising me and I hope it can do the same for you! 


Recipe below


Ingredients

1 pkg. frozen shrimp (already cooked)
2 tbsp butter
Cilantro 
1 bag Microwave brown rice
2 mango
1 medium red onion
1 lime 
Plain fat free greek yogurt ( Fage is my favorite!)
Micro-greens (I get the asian zing from kroger- in the produce section)
Spicy sweet corn relish (optional) 
1 pkg tortillas (we prefer flower tacos that are 'street size.' For rob, I get the taco boats! it makes it easier for him to eat)

Directions

Start by thawing the shrimp in a strainer with running water. While that thaws, start on the mango salsa. Score the mangos and shave into a bowl. For a video demonstration on how to do this, click here. Next, dice the red onion and place in the same bowl with the mangoes. Squeeze the juice from 1 lime into the bowl then add cilantro. I have no measurements for this so do so at your own discretion. Stir the mango salsa with a spoon then set aside.  Once shrimp have thawed, peel off the tails and add to a saucepan with 1 tbs butter and cilantro. Sautee on medium heat just to cover shrimp in butter and cilantro. Be careful not to leave shrimp on heat too long! If overcooked, they will be chewy. The heat is just to warm them up before serving and to add a coat of butter and seasoning. Once the shrimp is done, transfer to a bowl. Steam brown rice in the microwave safe bags as instructed on the bag. Set aside to cool. I then prepare my tacos by putting brown rice on the bottom then layer it with shrimp, mango salsa, greek yogurt, corn relish, and micro greens. enjoy!

For printable version click here